Conscription – a good idea?

Home Forums Thinking Allowed Conscription – a good idea?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    adminJL
    Keymaster

Is it time to bring back conscription? Apart from preparing young people on the many and various ways of killing people, and teaching them trades useful in that purpose, did it convert teenagers into human beings with skills available and useful to society and give purpose to their hormone-filled lives?

Rosalind Adam

I am too young to remember the 1950s conscription but I remember people saying that it gave youngsters self discipline. As an additional point to our planning discussion, I got an email from Aubrey saying that he had been planning to join us for this discussion as he remembers it well. Maybe we could get some comments here from people who actually do remember it. As for binging it in now, after all this self-isolation is over I think we may all have learnt a lot especially having time to think about life, our community and the world.

adminJL
    Keymaster

I think it’s a good idea to get people who were conscripted to give their impressions of their time in the armed forces. Did it change their view on life, did they use any skills gained in what they did afterwards?
    And out of curiosity, how easy did you find this system to use?

HowardF
    Keymaster

I’ll have another go as a human being instead of THE OVERLORD I’m so modest).

Rosalind Adam

At last, the master shows us his identity. I knew it was you really, Howard. Looking forward to reading other people’s contributions to this month’s topic.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.